Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother Daughter Banquet

Quinn and I went to our first Mother Daughter Banquet at our church last night. I have avoided this event for many years because the thought made me uncomfortable, but I decided to pony up and attend for the first time. The meal was catered with many yummy salads and desserts - Quinn barked at the lack of a "main course", but curiously went back for several seconds and thirds. Our entertainment was a few mean rounds of Bingo - the only winner in our bunch was Leann. Yeah, Leann! Blackout Bingo! Quinn did have the ever sought out dot on the bottom of her chair though which claimed her the centerpiece flower pot. All and all is was a nice evening to sit and enjoy my daughter and friends.

I'd be lying if I'd say that it didn't leave me thinking of mom though...how much I miss her smile and her laugh. How much I wish that she could be sitting there with me and enjoy my beautiful Quinn. Even her chewing me out would be a god send! But I made it through the banquet without wanting to go home and shut myself in a room and wallow in self-pity which is a huge step for me. It has only taken me twelve years...geez! The things that have got me to this point is believing that when I lit the candle in church for her - she saw me, when I thought of her - she knew, and when I looked at Quinn - she looked too.

Leann with her Black out Bingo and gift

Myself and Quinn, Leann and Kiana, Marcy and Katy

These girls have been friends since the day they met so many years ago. Quinn met Katy when she was three and Kiana in Kindergarten. As moms, Marcy, Leann and myself have become great friends too! I hope to have an amazing graduation picture like this some day...don't want to rush it though.

Quinn, Katy and Kiana

Quinn, Katy and Kiana showing their silly side


4 comments:

Linda said...

I am positive your mom is with you in spirit! And what a sweet way to celebrate. And you're right, graduation will come way too soon! Enjoy this time with your beautiful kids!

Jennifer Lacy said...

very nice post - good reminder and great tribute to your mother. no wonder you turned out to be such a wonderful friend and mother! miss you!

Heather rules said...

Your mom will ALWAYS be with you. I'm a firm believer.

Country Girl said...

you are such an awesome mom -- and yours was too, she wouldn't have such a great daughter otherwise. and quinn (and you) will always have last night to remember. :)