Monday, September 29, 2008

Race for the Cure

This past Saturday was the Race for the Cure run/walk. In the past thirteen years since losing mom to breast cancer I have made it a point to walk in her memory. For the first time in a long time I was going to skip it this year until one of my very best friends, Amy asked if Quinn and I wanted to walk with her and her daughter Natalie. I am so glad that she did - it was a beautiful morning and so nice to see her and Natalie! When Quinn and I headed out for the walk there was a hot air balloon overhead which I have always found exciting...just something out of the ordinary I guess.

Not only is there free Starbucks coffee at the Race for the Cure, but many other free goodies. Quinn got a balloon animal made as well as a pink ribbon painted on her face. And here comes the drama...there was a woman spray painting hair pink so Quinn of course jumped right in line. It was taking forever and the walk had started so I told Quinn no and ushered her to start walking. She proceeded to stomp along about 100 feet in front of Amy, Natalie and myself for most of the race because she was ticked about her lack of pink hair. As Amy and I watched her up ahead we just had to laugh because she is so my daughter...no pink hair and her day has been ruined!

After her anger and many trips to the Radio Disney booth, Quinn watched the survivors release their pink balloons into the sky. That is always very emotional to watch - part of me thinks why couldn't that have been mom and the other part wishes so much that research will pay off so that no more have to die. Anyway, it was a great walk!

Quinn stomping about in front of us

At least she got a pink ribbon on her cheek! Mean mom...

Quinn and I after the walk

Resting after our 5K

Quinn and Natalie hanging out

Natalie pulling out the grass...hey, it had to be done.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Kudos for "walking the walk". Quite funny - Kaitlin saw the same balloon on her way to work, took a pic on her cell phone and sent it to me. It's now the wallpaper on my cell.

Jennifer Lacy said...

ahh that is awesome! Brooke and i are baking for the cure this weekend with her girl scout troop. don't know what it is about hotair balloons either - brooke and i saw a bunch of them on our mommy daughter date just last week!

Amy said...

Man, that baby Natalie is the cutest baby I have ever seen!!!

Country Girl said...

i saw that same balloon!! can't remember now where i was going, but i'm sure caffeine was involved.